Create Server in Digitalocean
Digitalocean is one of the most popular cloud platform right now. It offers on-demand cloud computing for various use cases as well as some managed solutions. We can deploy any PHP based applications on Digitalocean Droplets. Droplets are the servers or cloud computing instances in Digitalocean. If you want to learn everything about droplet management in Digitalocean in-depth, We recommend you to read our Digitalocean guide.
To deploy any application on Digitalocean, We first need a Droplet. So, we will first create a droplet and perform the initial set up.
Step 1: Go to the Create Droplets page.
Log in to your Digitalocean account and click on the Create button given on the top-right corner of the page. From the drop down menu, click on the Droplets option to see a droplet creation form.
Step 2: Choose Region
On the Droplet creation page, You will see lots of sections to select lots of things. We will go step by step.
The first thing you have to do is select the region for your droplet. Digitalocean provides lots of options when it comes to selecting the location. The general rule is to select the region that is closest to your audience. It means that for majority of your audience, Your sites will load faster due to lower latency.
Step 3: Choose an Image or an OS
In this step, you have to select the operating system for your droplet. We recommend you to use Ubuntu 20.04 LTS x64 or Ubuntu 22.04 LTS x64. Ubuntu is easy to configure and manage. If you are using ServerAvatar to manage your droplets, These operating systems are requirement.
Step 4: Choose the size of the Droplet
Here you have to choose the size of your Droplet. As we mentioned above, Digitalocean provides many different types of droplets. Select the one that fits best for your project.
If your site is brand new and does not have much traffic, start with a small plan. Once the project starts getting traction, you can upgrade the plan to handle more visitors on the site.
Step 5: Choose Authentication Method
Now you have to select the authentication method. There are two types of authentication methods. They are:
- Authentication via SSH Keys
- Authentication via Password
If you are using SSH keys for authentication, It is the best option. If you do not know what is SSH keys, You can go with the password method. Make sure to set the strong password for your root user, which is the most powerful user with all the privileges on Linux OS.
Step 6: Selecting Additional Options
There are three additional options you can choose. They are optional but important in different use cases. The additional options are:
- Monitoring: It is a free feature by Digitalocean. It allows you to see additional monitoring data for your server.
- Backups: We recommend you to enable full server backups if you are going to deploy in production environment. The cost of the backups depends on the size of the droplet.
- Managed Database: You do not need a Managed database if you are using ServerAvatar to manage sites on a droplet. A managed database is a pre-configured MySQL Droplet.
Step 7: Finalise Details
In the last step of this process, We have to enter the name of the droplet, number of droplets you want to create, Define any tags, and select the project. Enter all the details and click on the Create Droplet button to create a droplet.
In a few minutes, You will have the Droplet up and running. Now, We have to perform the initial configuration on the Droplet to host PHP based frameworks and software.
Initial Server Configuration
The Initial server configuration includes installation and configuration of various packages required to host your website. Usually, You have to write commands and modify configuration files. Luckily, With ServerAvatar, Your full server configuration and optimisation can be automated.
Here are the three ways to automatically configure your server with ServerAvatar.
Connect a server using a direct method
- Login/Register to ServerAvatar account, click the Create button from the right side of the screen, and select Server from the dropdown.
- Select Direct Method in the serve connecting method section.
- Type the Server Name as per your choice.
- Select a Tech Stack as per your need. You can either select Apache, Nginx, or OpenLiteSpeed.
- Select a Database: MySQL or MariaDB.
- Enable the toggle if you want to install the latest LTS version of node.js on your server.
- Select a Management plan and click the Connect Now button.
- You’ll see the command on your screen. Login to your server using an ssh connection and execute that command as a root user.
- The server connection process will be started on your ServerAvatar account after executing the command.
Connect a server using integration
- Login/Register to your ServerAvatar account, navigate to the Integration tab from the sidebar of the panel, and access Cloud Platform from the dropdown.
- Now Select a cloud platform you want to link with ServerAvatar.
- The popup form will appear on your screen. Enter details to link your cloud provider account. The integration method is different based on the cloud provider you select.
- You can integrate five different cloud provider platforms with ServerAvatar, which is-
Check the above link of cloud platforms to know more about integrating cloud platforms with ServeAvatar.
Connect a server using commands
Step 1. Login to your server using root user
Once you create a server as per your requirements, connect to your server using an ssh connection and execute the below three commands as a root user in your server console area.
wget https://srvr.so/install chmod +x install ./install
Step 2. Select a web server
It will ask you which web server you would like to install on your server: Apache, Nginx, or OpenLiteSpeed. Type anyone that you would like to install on your server and hit the enter button.
Step 3. Claim your server
Completing the process will give you a link to claim your server.
Open the link on your browser to access the ServerAvatar server panel.
Auto-install Prestashop with ServerAvatar
Step-1 Create a PHP application
On the server panel, access the Application tab from the sidebar and click the Create button like the image below.
Fill up the details, including the Application Name, Primary Domain name, and other Advanced Settings if required.
If you want to host PrestaShop e-commerce platform on your domain, then make sure to point your domain to the current IP address of your server, and for that:
Log in to your hosting provider site, where you buy your domain. You can check your domain information with one click.
Access DNS Manager to edit your DNS records(contact the support team if you don’t find them)
Change the IP address of A Record of your website to the current server’s IP address.
Click the Create Application button.
Step-2. Auto-install PrestaShop with ServerAvatar
Now on the application panel, click the Auto Deploy button from the sidebar.
Click the PrestaShop Auto Install card, as you can see in the above image.
It asks to enter PrestaShop details to deploy an application, which includes-
- Database Server: Select the server you want to host your database.
- Database Name: Enter the database name.
- PHP Version: Select the supported PHP version for Prestashop application
- First Name:Admin's first name
- Last Name: Admin last name
- Email: Admin email address. This email will be used in case you forget your password
- Password: Admin login password
Once you fill in all the details, click the Install Now button.
Step-3. Install SSL Certificates
Go to the application panel. Click the SSL Certificate tab from the sidebar.
You can also Force HTTP to HTTPS to redirect all your traffic to the secure connection.
Access the URL of your application on the browser and log in using admin credentials to use Prestashop admin panel.
That’s it. Now you can add your products and manage all your products on one dashboard.