Create a server in Linode
First of all, Let's create a VM instance in Linode. It provides a lots of different types of VM instances. You can create shared VM instances, Dedicated Instances, Memory Optimised instances and GPU instances. To host a simple website, You will need a shared VM instance. If you want to learn more about Linode and How to manage servers in linode, Follow our [Linode guide](.
If you think your application uses high CPU or RAM, You can get Dedicated CPU VM or Memory Optimised VM respectively. Let's get started with the process.
Step 1: Go to Linode VM Instance Creation Form
When you log in to your Linode account, You will see "Create Linode" button on the top-right corner of the page. Click on it to go to the Linode creation form.
Step 2: Select the Distribution
We will use ServerAvatar as a server management panel. It supports Ubuntu 20.04 as well as Ubuntu 22.04. So, select any one of the supported OS.
Step 3: Select the Region
Linode has multiple data centers located in different regions worldwide. It is recommended to choose the region that is closest to your major traffic source to reduce latency and improve the performance of your applications.
Step 4: Select Linode Plan
Linode offers various plans with different configurations of CPU, RAM, and storage. Choose a plan that fits your budget and meets your application's requirements. With ServerAvatar, You can also host multiple applications on a single Linode VM Instance.
Step 5: Set Label and Select Tags
The label is a human-readable name that you can use to identify your instance. Tags are keywords that you can use to categorize and search for your instances. You can also group Linodes by Tags on the dashboard.
Step 6: Set Strong Root Password and Select SSH Key
The root password is the administrator password that you will use to access and manage your VM instance. Make sure to use a strong password that is hard to guess and includes a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
Next select an SSH key if you want to authenticate with SSH keys. SSH keys are a more secure way to log in to your VM instance than using passwords. If you have an SSH key, you can upload it to your Linode account and use it to log in to your VM instance.
Step 7: Select VLAN (If Required)
A VLAN is a logical network that separates traffic from different virtual machines or physical servers. It can be used to isolate network traffic and improve security.
Step 8: Select Add-ons - Backups and Private IP
Linode provides an easy way to create and store backups for your VM instances. Backups are highly recommended as they can help you with disaster recovery quickly. And in the last step, You can enable the Private IP address for your VM instance if required.
Step 9: Click on "Create Linode"
Finally, Click on "Create Linode" button at the end of the form to create a Linode VM instance. It usually takes around 2 minutes to create a new Linode instance. Once done, You can connect it with ServerAvatar for easy site and server configuration management.
Initial Server Configuration
The Initial server configuration includes installation and configuration of various packages required to host your website. Usually, You have to write commands and modify configuration files. Luckily, With ServerAvatar, Your full server configuration and optimisation can be automated.
Here are the three ways to automatically configure your server with ServerAvatar.
Connect a server using a direct method
- Login/Register to ServerAvatar account, click the Create button from the right side of the screen, and select Server from the dropdown.
- Select Direct Method in the serve connecting method section.
- Type the Server Name as per your choice.
- Select a Tech Stack as per your need. You can either select Apache, Nginx, or OpenLiteSpeed.
- Select a Database: MySQL or MariaDB.
- Enable the toggle if you want to install the latest LTS version of node.js on your server.
- Select a Management plan and click the Connect Now button.
- You’ll see the command on your screen. Login to your server using an ssh connection and execute that command as a root user.
- The server connection process will be started on your ServerAvatar account after executing the command.
Connect a server using integration
- Login/Register to your ServerAvatar account, navigate to the Integration tab from the sidebar of the panel, and access Cloud Platform from the dropdown.
- Now Select a cloud platform you want to link with ServerAvatar.
- The popup form will appear on your screen. Enter details to link your cloud provider account. The integration method is different based on the cloud provider you select.
- You can integrate five different cloud provider platforms with ServerAvatar, which is-
Check the above link of cloud platforms to know more about integrating cloud platforms with ServeAvatar.
Connect a server using commands
Step 1. Login to your server using root user
Once you create a server as per your requirements, connect to your server using an ssh connection and execute the below three commands as a root user in your server console area.
chmod +x install
Step 2. Select a web server
It will ask you which web server you would like to install on your server: Apache, Nginx, or OpenLiteSpeed. Type anyone that you would like to install on your server and hit the enter button.
Step 3. Claim your server
Completing the process will give you a link to claim your server.
Open the link on your browser to access the ServerAvatar server panel.
Auto-install Prestashop with ServerAvatar
Step-1 Create a PHP application
On the server panel, access the Application tab from the sidebar and click the Create button like the image below.
Fill up the details, including the Application Name, Primary Domain name, and other Advanced Settings if required.
If you want to host PrestaShop e-commerce platform on your domain, then make sure to point your domain to the current IP address of your server, and for that:
Log in to your hosting provider site, where you buy your domain. You can check your domain information with one click.
Access DNS Manager to edit your DNS records(contact the support team if you don’t find them)
Change the IP address of A Record of your website to the current server’s IP address.
Click the Create Application button.
Step-2. Auto-install PrestaShop with ServerAvatar
Now on the application panel, click the Auto Deploy button from the sidebar.
Click the PrestaShop Auto Install card, as you can see in the above image.
It asks to enter PrestaShop details to deploy an application, which includes-
- Database Server: Select the server you want to host your database.
- Database Name: Enter the database name.
- PHP Version: Select the supported PHP version for Prestashop application
- First Name:Admin's first name
- Last Name: Admin last name
- Email: Admin email address. This email will be used in case you forget your password
- Password: Admin login password
Once you fill in all the details, click the Install Now button.
Step-3. Install SSL Certificates
Go to the application panel. Click the SSL Certificate tab from the sidebar.
You can also Force HTTP to HTTPS to redirect all your traffic to the secure connection.
Access the URL of your application on the browser and log in using admin credentials to use Prestashop admin panel.
That’s it. Now you can add your products and manage all your products on one dashboard.